Thursday, August 20, 2009

Diet/Eating Plan Comparison

Since about mid-June I have using a detoxification diet called the Fat Flush Plan (http://www.annlouise.com/fat-flush/overview/the-fat-flush-plan-overview.html). I have done two rounds (about 4 weeks) of the strict initiation eating plan under the FFP and I have lost about 20 lbs. I usually lose around 5 lbs. a week during the time I follow the initiation phase. While 20 lbs sounds great, it is really just the weight I gained since moving to Northern California a year ago. I was 179 lbs when we moved and I was in about the about the 6th week of Body-for-Life. With the move and a new job, I totally fell off BFL and just couldn't get to the gym or afford to repurchase the home gym equipment I had sold in Virginia to work out at home.
I was looking at my pictures from BFL and I definitely looked better at 179 lbs under that plan than I do at 179 lbs under the Fat Flush Plan. Mostly that would because I had actually lost more weight because I had also put on probably five pounds of muscle. So I my body fat percentage was actually less at 179 lbs under BFL.
While doing the Fat Flush Plan, I have been slowly increasing my cardiovascular workout. I started just walking, and I now daily run a mile and a half and walk half a mile. This daily workout only takes about half an hour and there is no travel time to the gym, so it really fits my busy schedule.
The things that I like about the Fat Flush Plan are 1) the detoxification really does help relieve my congestion systems, which is great; 2) it is easier to strict to because while the eating is more strict, it is less regimented in both its workout schedule and eating scheduled, which is easier for me; 3) because I have not gained a bunch of muscle mass, my weight loss is not dependent on my continued completion of the weightlifting program; and 4) I am much much less likely to injure my self with my very gradual increases in cardiovascular workouts. With BFL life, if I injured myself, which I did twice while on BFL and the weight came crashing back on because BFL is not a low calorie diet and the muscle mass starts breaking down into fat.
I admit that I miss the weightlifting in BFL. I miss measuring my biceps and calves and seeing them grow on weekly basis. And it is nice to be able to be on a plan where I am never hungry.
However, I have I cholesterol and family history of diabetes, so my main concern has to be major weight loss and maintenance of that low body weight. So I am trying shoot for more of a long distance runner's body. Once I reach my goals on weight maintenance, I will see if can add some muscle mass slowly, without injury.

No comments: