Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 37 -- Body for Life -- Update

I have been traveling so much lately that I have had to rely on a lot of protein bars and shakes to fit in all my meals, but I feel like my body does not respond the same to the meal replacements as well as to real food. Today I had egg whites with vegetables and a bunch of red grapes for breakfast. I think my body was very happy to know that I had not gone on some astronaut-type replacement food diet. I also sign up for a temporary membership at Gold's Gym. The weights set I have was no longer enough, and I did not want to invest in more weights that I will have to haul around with me. The first day I did upper body and I had forgot that the barbell weighs 45lb and I calculated all my weights as if it was 25lbs. The amazing thing is that I did the whole planned work out with an extra 20lbs. I can bench press 155lb 6 reps now. Not bad! On the second day, after I did my interval training on the elliptical, I decided to put some extra time on the treadmill. I felt really good so I decided to jog. I ended up jogging an entire mile with no knee pain. Given it was a 15 minute mile, but hey, I completed it. I was not going to start jogging until I had lost more weight, but I was really warmed up and stretched out so it seemed the right time. Yesterday for lower body, I used the squatting rack and could squat 205lb six times. I expected my thighs to be really sore today, but instead my hamstrings are really sore. I also upped the weights for my calves, but no matter what I do, I do not seem to be able to work out my calves so they are sore the next day. If anyone knows a good calve work out, please let me know. Today I did my interval training on the rowing machine and then walked an extra mile on the tread mill. I am enjoying my membership at Gold's and I see more of the Olympics while I am there.

No comments: