Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 10 -- Avoiding Injury

I have never broken a bone or "blown out" any joint of my body, but I am very familiar with the "dumb" injury. What are dumb injuries? They're the ones you cannot brag about. They are the injuries sustained because you twisted wrong, or tried to perform an exercise you were not ready for. To complete a Body-for-LIFE challenge, I know I must avoid these "dumb" injuries that will bring my fitness quest to a screaching halt. So, to avoid injuries:

1. Minimize Impact from Cardiovascular Exercise

I choose a 20-minute cardiovascular workout that minimizes impact on my joints and stress on my ligaments. This is especially important because I am, well, overweight. I mean, I would never start a running program wearing a 30-pound weighted vest!

  • Stationary Bike or Eliptical Machine. I begin my BFL program riding a stationary bike or using an eliptical machine. The machines have easy to read displays for time, speed and calorie burning that make it easier for me to measure, record and adjust my intensity levels.
  • Speed Walking. If I want to exercise outside, I speed walk. Walking is probably the best low-impact exercise because it is also weight bearing and very good for my bones. By speed walking, I can definitly reach a level "10" intensity and easily reach my target heart rate. The real problem with speed walking is my pride. It is not a pretty picture when the fat guy is grunting out a level-10 speed walk. I admit it, I look silly.
  • Swimming. Swimming is also a great cardiovascular work out with no impact. I generally have to improve my cardiovascular strength before I enjoy swimming or can hit even a level "8" intensity without loosing rythm and gagging down buckets of water. Around week six I believe I can begin incorporate swimming.

Once I loose about 20lbs and improve my cardiovascular endurance, I will probably add in some sprint exercises and some swimming. As explained below, it is good to mix up my exercises to develop a well defined Body-for-LIFE. I have had many running injuries from starting a program too fast and not being prepared.

2. Follow Strict Form in Lifting Weights

For each lift, I must learn the form and then strictly follow it. First, by performing an exercise with improper form, I can extend a muscle too far or strain my joints. Second, if I cheat by trying to bounce or twist to achieve "extra" lifts, because of all the weight I am holding I risk straining or pulling other "helping" muscles. If I cannot perform the last lift with good form, then I have already hit my intensity goal without that last "cheat" lift. I know that cheating for "extra" lifts is actually not beneficial and is a formula for strained and pulled mucles. I will not cheat!

3. Mixing It Up -- A Well-Rounded Lifting Program

My two favorite work outs are pectorals and biceps, of course. But I have learned that I must also work out the little, less known "helper" muscles to increase total strength, avoid injury and improve posture. (See http://musclemedia.com/training/shoulder.asp for a good Muscle Media article). For example, with shoulders I begin with dumbell presses and lateral raises, but I will have to work in some bent over raises and barbell front raises to have a well-rounded work out.

4. Lifting Too Much Weight

I know that I must lift heavy weights and push myself to achieve muscle growth. But I also know that I can seriously injure myself if I lift a weight that I cannot control or bring safely to the ground. I work out at home and finding a spotter is not always easy or convenient, but I know it is important to avoid injuries. Also, I do not sit up with dumbells I have used in a bench exercise, but carefully drop them to the floor.

One way I estimate if the weight is too much, is if I can control the eccentric part of the exercise when I am slowly lowering the weight. The eccentric part is so important to my work out, even if the lift (or concentric) part seems more fun.

5. Be Flexible

Stretching and improving my flexibility are very important to me know that I am 40. The one down side of the BFL program seems to be that it does not emphasize stretching. I have included a very minor 5-minute yoga program that I do every day at the end of my cardio or weight lifting. It is a simple program from "You, the Owner's Manaul" that helps with flexibility. In a couple weeks I will need a more advance program. So if anyone knows one, please let me know.

6. Warming Up

Back when I had a trainer, he had me start each weight lifting session by warming up on the stationary bike. I like Bill Phillips method better. He actually incorporates the warm up into the exercise. It is the level "5", "6" and "7" exercises. So I use these exercises to warm up. I take them slow (on each concentric part of the exercise I actually say "Body for Life" and on each eccentric (or negative) part of the exercise I lower the weight slow enough to get in the whole phrase "I am building a Body-for-Life") and I feel my muscles strech and my blood start pumping. Now I am ready for the level "8", "9" and "10" when I am actually building my Body-for Life.

7. Ice, Ice Baby

If I do strain, twist or otherwise feel a "bad" pain, it is time for ice. I rotate the ice on and off for 20-minutes while I collect myself and hope that it is okay. I like a cold shower after a work out because it not only helps me cool down faster so I can get on with with life faster and less sweaty, but I also feel like it helps reduce muscle and joint inflamation and helps me recover faster.

No comments: